About being 20-something and reading books

Without being controversial, I was browsing the Linkedin news (loosing my time?) and came through an article about 'being around 20 years old and reading 5 books'. And, sorry, I can't leave it, I need to express my disagreement on those kind of advices (apologies to the author of the post).

1. Its is so striking to mention 5 books and being around the twenties...but, oh, yes, I know. Reading is not hype anymore, it requires attention and intellectual effort - so, don't read too much. You could be 20 years old and have an headache;

2. Five books...twenty years...Hell, yes. That's a math. One book every two years ('cause you need to have finished your reading list before being old (that's reaching the canonical age of 30); again: one book every 24 months of your life is a real personal challenge.

3. And now comes the list itself: the top first one is Paul Coehlo's Alchemist, which is, I agree on that one, a great book. Now being the one that you should put on such a scarce resource (that being the reading as such), I'm not sure. It's a good book, with a lot of philosophical, high-level, generic life statements that can't hurt, but it's not a real game changer (you have a lot of those kind of texts available: Sun-Tzu, Confucius, Tite-Live, Buddha,...you name it);

4. ...and the four other titles are vague biographies about the Starbucks founder, the need for happiness in life etc etc.

Really amazing to conclude that you have no historic references, a very poor geographical spread of the authors (that's Brazil and UK/US) and no need to add any other linguistic references at all (oh, yes, true. Japanese, Arabic cultures or Europeans haven't written a lot about Starbucks, business and the moral obligation to live a happy life). But that was not explained on the Internet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI and ethics

Some good learning resources for free !!

Applying systems design principles to business